This Chicken, Veggies and Rice recipe is really easy to make and is a great meal for you and your dog. My dogs get bored eating the same food every day so I try to treat them from time to time. Abby gets scrambled eggs or chicken and when I’m shopping for my rabbit Niblet, I always buy veggies we can all eat. Cooper loved when I made this crockpot recipe and I hope your pups will too.
I wanted to maintain the integrity of the author however, there are ingredients that would be toxic to dogs in the original recipe. Although I make note of it at the end, it is worth noting more than once.
I discovered this meal from the Recipe Rebel and love it because I can make it in my slow cooker. I don’t include milk, cheese or any kind of seasonings when I do mine. I’ll add salt and pepper or garlic powder after the food is done cooking and plated so Abby’s is plain. If I make a people food recipe knowing she’ll be sharing I always research and make adjustments for her.
The listed recipe ingredients are nearly close to the original but I removed the toxic ingredients. The recipe author is Ashley Fehr at Recipe Rebel.
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 large carrots peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- First, we add the veggies, low sodium chicken broth, seasoning and chicken breasts to the crockpot. You want to make sure your vegetables are chopped finely so that they cook in the same amount of time as the chicken (because nobody likes overcooked chicken!).
- Then we add the instant rice, and it soaks up all the extra liquid and cooks up nice and fluffy (so easy!).
- Lastly, we stir in a little milk and cheese to give it a touch of creaminess (optional).
- In a 3-4 quart slow cooker, stir together the broth, carrots, onion, red peppers, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken breasts, and cover and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
- When chicken is cooked, remove and place on a cutting board.
- Stir in the peas and rice to the slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 15 minutes.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, slice thinly.
- After 15 minutes, stir the chicken, milk, and cheese into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 15 more minutes, until cheese is melted and rice is tender. Serve.
I removed italian seasoning, salt, pepper, milk, peppers. Also the doggie toxic ingredients garlic and onion. Of course dogs love cheese so that is a good option. I’m sure your pooch will come running if they hear that zipper open.